Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mermaid Tutu Dresses, Some of My Favorite Creations!

I haven't gotten a chance to make too many of them, but the Mermaid Dress is so fun to do!

It's probably a good thing that I don't sell too many of them, since they take so long to create! The dress itself is easy. It takes just as long as any other dress, of course. But the part that makes it so special, the seashell decoration, takes hours!


First I've got to paint the sea shells. I'm not a big fan of this part. I'm sure the kids would LOVE if I gave this job to them. I probably would too, if they were just a little bit older. ;-)


After the many coats are dry, I can begin creating the bodice piece! This part is fun, but takes a long time too! It's kind of like doing a puzzle, but no box to look at! After many tries, and twisting and turning each seashell into place, I have to redo the whole thing! The first time through is just a dry run to see what fits best where, then I go back and secure each one into place. Along the way I add the "seaweed," rhinestones, and lots of pearls!


After all is said and done, I've spent about three times as long creating the seashell decoration than I had making the dress. :-/ But it's soooo worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment